Re: Setting font height in Xresources

From: Jim Burton
Subject: Re: Setting font height in Xresources
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 22:27:39 +0000

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

> Jim Burton <jim@sdf-eu.org> writes:
>
>> Hi, I want to use the default font but change the height attribute in
>> Gnu EMacs 23.0.60 on Linux, Ubuntu Intrepid. I can easily set this in
>> .emacs and in GNOME that works fine but under the xmonad window manager
>> (which is a tiling wm) it is messed up. Emacs starts with the larger
>> font size then resizes it. This leaves the echo area the wrong size and
>> any mode lines running up to about two thirds of the width of the frame
>> then stopping. If I change the xmonad layout then the emacs window is
>> redrawn and everything is fine, but this is a nuisance. (redraw-display)
>> at the end of .emacs didn't help.
>>
>> I thought that setting the font height earlier on might help so tried to
>> set it in Xresources with
>>
>> Emacs.default.attributeHeight:100
>>
>> (not forgetting xrdb merge ...) but this has no effect on the font
>> size. What's the right way to do this?
>>
>> Thanks a lot,
>
> I use Emacs under XMonad with no issues. My font specifier in an X
> resource file is simply:
>
> ,----
> | Emacs*font: -adobe-courier-medium-r-normal-*-12-100-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1
> `----

Hi Richard, I am using the xft backend and if I set the font to a
specific one, e.g.  "Monospace-10" then I don't get the right fontset
behaviour, in that only that font is used and so most unicode chars
aren't displayed. So I want to keep the default (:family "Deja Vu Sans
Mono" in my case, which picks the right font for unicode) and just
change the height.

Jim

--
Jim Burton