linux/gcc, apostrophs display problem

From: towi
Subject: linux/gcc, apostrophs display problem
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 05:45:39 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

when gcc prints warnings or errors it puts identifiers in two strange
single-quotes.

When I do "M-x compile" with "gcc textm.c" the apostrophs are printed
fine.

But, when I have a more complex project with automake and libtool and
everything, when I compile "M-x compile" and "make" the apostrophs get
converted somehow so that emacs displays them as octal codes.
For example:

../../../../trunk/src/mediator/Utils/PortingDBMap.cpp:18: warning:
\342\200\230utils::PortingDBMap::entries\342\200\231 should be
initialized in the member initialization list

I realize that the above codes are UTF-8 apostrophs, and when I copy-
pasted them here they even appeared as apostrophs. Therefor, I gather,
the output is still ok in some sense.

But why is it displayed fine this way and quoted the other way? Do I
have to switch the encoding on the "*compilation*" buffer? And how
would I do that? Or can I pass the output through a filter, just
replacing the nasty UTF-8 chars with a simple '-tick? Can I configure
emacs to do this?

Thanks in advance.

tschau, towi.

PS: I am quite versed in Linux and programming in general, but not as
secure in emacs-lisp -- more a copy-and-paste guy in that area... ;-)