Re: authentification with url-retrieve

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: authentification with url-retrieve
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 12:34:42 -0600

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 23:22:15 +0100 Thierry Volpiatto
<thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:

TV> When i use encryption, (epa settings) i am prompt two times for
TV> passphrase, is it normal?

> Ted Z wrote:
>> No, if you're caching the passphrase
>> (epa-file-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption should be t).  Can
>> you check?

TV> It is set to t, and it always prompt two times for passphrase.

TV> One problem also is that passphrase is required for things that
TV> doesn't need it: For example with gnus i am prompt for passphrase
TV> when i start gnus to read my mails but i use fetchmail to retrieve
TV> my mails. No password is set in gnus to contact pop service.  Is it
TV> possible to write in authinfo a pop entry with a dummy password or a
TV> password set to nil?

Sure, but let's be clear on what's happening.

You start up Gnus.  Then you are asked for what password?  You enter it;
what's in *Messages*?

You are asked again for what password?  You enter it again, what's new
in *Messages*?

The exact prompts and sequence of events are important.  I also need to
know your authinfo contents, suitably edited to keep your info private.

Ted