RE: How to copy the text in the minibuffer

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How to copy the text in the minibuffer
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 11:11:30 -0800

> > Sometimes I have some text in the minibuffer that I would like to
> > copy, to paste it somewhere else. Is this possible?
>
> There may well be better answers but I often retrieve that sort of
> stuff buy switching to *Messages* buffer where most stuff that appears
> in minibuffer is also written and be copied normally.

There is likely some confusion here between the minibuffer and the echo area.
These two critters occupy the same space (but not at the same time).

The echo area is used only for output - messages to you from Emacs.

The minibuffer is used for input. Sometimes Emacs also puts an informational
message there to accompany your input - for example "[No match]" during input
completion.

You can copy text from the minibuffer in the normal way. (You can even copy text
from the minibuffer prompt, if you need to.)

You cannot copy text (messages) from the echo area. There is really no way for
you to "get into" the echo area - it is for output only. But, as Harry
indicated, you can copy the same message from buffer *Messages*, where it is
logged.