c-electric-paren c-electric-brace in PHP Mode locks up

From: John Rushworth
Subject: c-electric-paren c-electric-brace in PHP Mode locks up
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 11:35:40 +1300

Hi,

Don't know whether this is any help or not. (and I really hope that I'm not posting it to the wrong place... my apologies if I am in error)

I am using GNU Emacs 22.1.1 under XP SP2.

Using PHP Mode I started getting emacs freezing, using 50% or more of CPU every time I typed a ( or a {

Took a few minutes to realise what the problem was....

I had cut and pasted some PHP into a new buffer.... saved it.... but had no <?PHP or ?> tags

Or, at least, adding these tags fixed my problem.

Funny thing was that once I had added them, tested that everything was OK, saved the file.... everything still worked fine, even if I then deleted these tags again.

Uninitialized variable?

Sorry, my lisp skills are close to non-existent (and this is a bad week for diversions) or I would follow this up.

Thanks for a great editor.

Cheers
John Rushworth
New Zealand

PS I realise that I am using an old version. Downloading the latest now.... over a slow dial-up connection.... yes, such links still exist...