Re: StumpWM and Gnome

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: Re: StumpWM and Gnome
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 15:17:36 +0100

Hello David,

First, thanks for your answer...

>>> Xft.hinting:        1
>
> This is arguable.  I do use:
>
> Xft*autohint:  false
> Xft*hinting:   true
>
> You can try:
>
> Xft*autohint:  true
> Xft*hinting:   false
>

>>> Xft.hintstyle:      hintslight
>
> Better use "hintfull"

I've tried all the above possibilities, but that had no visible
impact on my font problem.

See my Emacs window looked like when started from Gnome:

    http://www.mygooglest.com/sva/Consolas-in-Emacs-23-from-Gnome.png

and, now, from StumpWM (in all above cases):

    http://www.mygooglest.com/sva/Consolas-in-Emacs-23-from-StumpWM.png

It is even unreadable sometimes (look at the "Happy New Year"
sentence).

What's weird is that:

    o   characters look somehow bolder than before, but less
        readable because some sort of stretch;

    o   characters that are really in bold look as perfect under
        StumpWM as they were under Gnome: those seem unchanged.

>>> Xft.rgba:   rgb
>
> Use this only if you have a TFT.

Yes, I do have an LCD screen (using a laptop).

>> I've done this, but I still have ugly fonts in Emacs (not much
>> better within "xterms", but I guess there are other settings
>> there to look at).
>
> What's your Emacs version?

GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9) of
2008-05-06 on iridium, modified by Debian

>> to my `.stumpwm' init file:
>>
>>   (set-font
>> "-microsoft-consolas-regular-normal-normal--11-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-startup")
>
> StumpWM only supports old style X11 fonts. Use one of the
> "classics" like fixed or neep.

I removed that line.

Thanks for your tips.

Now that you clearly see what I tried to explain with words,
would you have an explanation of this feature?

Best regards, and Happy New Year already,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban