Re: removing menubar and window frame

From: Stefan Kamphausen
Subject: Re: removing menubar and window frame
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 13:59:06 +0100

Hi,

> Am 02.12.2008 um 05:33 schrieb Chengqi(Lars) Song:
>
>> To maximize the space for editing area, I want to hide manubar and the
>> window-frame, but sometimes I need them so I also want to assign a
>> hotkey to toggle them. Could you give any suggestion? Thank you.

a good while back a friend of mine an I wrote active-menu.el for XEmacs
which showed the menu-bar as soon as your mouse comes close to where
the menu-bar usually would be and removes it if your mouse is far away.
I used that for years.

After switching to Gnu Emacs I tried to port it and it kinda works but I
don't use it anymore so there are probably some glitches in it.

Besides, the porting was really a pain since the mouse-position commands
are subtly different across Gnu Emacs and XEmacs (see the comments for
more ranting).  In the end I got so frustrated working on this that I
quit.  If someone with a deeper understanding of things wants to take
over or patch... your welcome.

If you're still interested after reading all this:
http://www.skamphausen.de/cgi-bin/ska/active-menu.el

>> By the way, by "window-frame", I mean the outer frame of the window
>> with
>> the window title, maximze/minimize/close buttons.

active-menu does nothing to the frame.

Cheers,
Stefan
--
Stefan Kamphausen --- http://www.skamphausen.de
a blessed +42 regexp of confusion (weapon in hand)