RE: Strange problem with Gnus.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Strange problem with Gnus.
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 11:38:48 -0800

Hi Andy,

This is a known Gnus bug (reported to gnus.gnus-bug by Daniel Dehennin,
2008-06-21). The problem is that Gnus simply plugs in (prints) a propertized
Lisp string as the value of the `filename' MML attribute. It does not ensure
that whatever it plugs in is in fact a valid MML attribute value. In particular,
it does not first remove any Emacs text properties (such as `face') from the
Lisp string.

I'm guessing that you are using Icicles - that can make this Gnus bug manifest.
Fortunately, there is an easy workaround.

IIUC, Gnus uses completion to pick up the string that it blindly plugs in.
Unlike vanilla Emacs, by default Icicles lets completion return a propertized
string. For example, if the completion candidates have the `face' property, then
the string that `completing-read' or `read-file-name' returns is such a
propertized string.

This is a feature. But you can turn it off by simply customizing option
`icicle-unpropertize-completion-result-flag' to non-nil. That will mean that you
give up that feature generally, but that's no big deal.

HTH, and sorry for the trouble. You might want to follow up with Gnus
development. I just checked gnus.gnus-bug, and there has apparently been no
reply to Daniel's bug report (subject: "File attachement with icicles is a
problem"). I don't know if Gnus development records and tracks bugs, other than
via the newsgroup.

  - Drew