Re: emacs in text mode terminal paste problem (SecureCRT / xterm )

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: emacs in text mode terminal paste problem (SecureCRT / xterm )
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 04:38:23 -0800 (PST)

Some general experience regard your problem.

First of all, i like to note that SecureCRT is the ssh terminal of my
choice in Windows platform, during the time when i was active in IT
industry working on web stores, where Windows NT is used as company
desktop, and Solaris are servers. This is during 1998 to 2002, i
recall as a sys admin i ordered this software for all company to use.
However, i haven't used Windows since about 2005.

The general problem of copying and pasting thru different apps to
server involves quite some complexities. In your example, when you
copy a text, it first goes thru some munching from Window's system
wide clipboard to your SecureCRT app, then from there thru telnet/ssh
protocol. There in fact involves multiple instances of translations
(at least 2 but i think more).

When you copy a text from a Windows app to another, the copied text is
in general not plain text, but involves possibly multiple versions
such as rich text version and plain text version, and when you paste
in another app, which version is pasted depends on the OS's clipboard
system and the app. (for example, on the mac, you can copy text from
Safari browser into Mac's TextEdit, the result is rich text that
retains somewhat of the font and formatting (but not exactly), and
when you paste into Apple Mail (with preference set to support html
mail), the result also retains the formatting/font somewhat, but note
that it has internally turned into html. And when you paste into, for
example, Carbon Emacs or Aquamacs Emacs, you get plain text.) So, the
point is that there are a lot conversions taking place. This
conversions are not trivial. It depends on the OS's system of
clipboard, and depends on what app you pasting it into.

Also, line ending and text encoding may also have multated. Some app
automatically convert line endings or text encoding.

And when the copy/pasting involves telnet/ssh, it goes into another
conversion because in general telnet as far as i knew in 2000, it
basically support transmission using ascii.

So, the only thing i can suggest is that given the above info, try to
copy/paste so that it it goes thru minimal number of conversions, and
find out where it went wrong, which character got wrong. Terminal app
or telnet is especially problematic. Many of them simply don't support
unicode or non-ascii chars, and some you need to experiment with its
usually cryptic config/preference/options a lot in order to get it to
work with a particular encoding.

looking at your problem, i'm pretty sure SecureCRT tried to turn your
unicode into some ascii with some control chars (esp sequences), of
which emacs thinks you are pressing Meta. I'm not actually sure you
can actually paste unicode thru terminal/telnet even today ...

... if you use another tunneling techonolgy, or some remote desktop
technology, it may bypass all these telnet/ssh problems.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄