Re: Setting user-emacs-directory

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Setting user-emacs-directory
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 01:06:10 +0100

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 15:08, abc <arcadiorubiogarcia@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like change the user directory (usually ~/.emacs.d) and the init
> file placing them inside ~/Library/Preferences/Emacs and ~/Library/
> Preferences/Emacs/Preferences.el, respectively. Currently I'm
> achieving this by using symbolic links.
>
> I'd like to know if there's a cleaner way to do this other than
> editing Emacs scripts (subr.el), e.g. by setting some environment
> variables.

Setting HOME to ~/Library/Preferences/Emacs for the Emacs process
you'll force it to use that directory, but you cannot change the name
of the init file, which is the first found from .emacs.elc, .emacs.el,
.emacs, .emacs.d/init.elc. .emacs.d/init.el.

> I've tried to set the user-emacs-directory from my init
> file, but Emacs ignores me, and still creates auto-save-list inside
> ~/.emacs.d.

Does it work adding this at the start of your .emacs?

(setq user-emacs-directory "~/Library/Preferences/Emacs/"
      auto-save-list-file-prefix (concat user-emacs-directory
"auto-save-list/.saves-"))

  Juanma