Re: Gnus: How to catch up huge newsgroups?

From: Joe Fineman
Subject: Re: Gnus: How to catch up huge newsgroups?
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 20:26:47 -0500

> On Tue, Nov 04 2008, Joe Fineman wrote:
>
>> I run Gnus v5.10.6 under Emacs 21.3.1 under Windows XP (alas).
>> Because Verizon has truncated its service, I recently signed on to
>> a latitudinarian news server (Motzarella).  I find that four of the
>> newsgroups I want to read come up with backlogs on the order of 30
>> million postings.
>
> Unless it is some binary newsgroup, this seem unlikely.

None of the four is a binary newsgroup.

> Please verify the numbers using the following command in a shell and
> show us the output.

I'll give this a try.  Thank you.

> What is the output of <f1> v most-positive-fixnum RET?
> You may need to load cl before: M-x load-library RET cl RET

Ditto.

>> I have tried twice to post this query on gnu.emacs.gnus (a
>> moderated group),
>
> gnu.emacs.gnus isn't moderated.

I so interpreted the (m) in the Group buffer.  If it is not moderated,
then it is all the more mysterious that I cannot succeed in posting to
it.

Thank you for your attention.
--
---  Joe Fineman    joe_f@verizon.net

||:  The idea of appearing modest appeals to my vanity.  :||