Re: 'find use of' a symbol

From: Xah
Subject: Re: 'find use of' a symbol
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 15:39:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 31, 11:46 am, Lowell Gilbert <lguse...@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
> Rodrigo Canellas <rodrigo.canel...@tqtvd.com> writes:
> > Is there a 'find use of' function like in Emacs? I mean, a function
> > that finds all the places where a certain symbol is used, given a
> > group of files?
>
> > I read I can use 'grep', but I wonder if there is another way.
>
> If you have the "ID Utilities" installed, you can use "gid".
> There are also interfaces to use cscope, eclipse and a bunch of other tools.

do you want to find all locations where the symbol appears, or where
the symbol is called, or including where it is defined?

i suppose you just want all locations where it appears. Besides “Alt+x
grep”, which i use, a better solution is probably tags. Unfortunately
you'll have to set it up first. See emacs manual on Tags. (info
"(emacs)Tags")

i know there are few other solutions but i've never tried... some show
all functions in a panel ... like modern IDE...

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/