Re: Completion in Auctex

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: Re: Completion in Auctex
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:12:47 +0200

Hello,

>> You might also want to try pabbrev.el; it's tab completion
>> with continual, as-you-type feedback.
>
> I tried pabbrev. There seems to be a difference in
> documentation and behaviour. The comments say that 1 x TAB
> completes the current suggestion and 2 x TAB opens the
> suggestion buffer. But it actually seems to be the other way
> around.
>
> I think the behaviour, as explained in the commentary, is far
> more desirable. But I wonder what is wrong here.

As I said yesterday, I also have problems with it. Now, I've
narrowed down to when problem occurs:

    o   pressing 1 x TAB on a proposition works great, if there
        is only one possible completion;

    o   pressing 2 x TAB on a proposition leads to problems when
        multiple completions are possible.

I don't understand why (yet), but I see the problem occurring
when `pabbrev' opens a completely new buffer taking the full
frame space.

When it opens a smaller buffer above or below the current one
(in which we edit), the behavior is totally correct, and the
really desired one!

Hope we will understand, so that the problems will go away -- as
this is really a fantastic mode, as far as I've already seen.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban