Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 18:59:51 -0700 (PDT)

> More important in this context is the fact that his knowledge of his
> specific RSI problems and their solutions is much higher than yours.

I didn't consider him sincere, knowledgable, or respectful. Remember
my article about “(Knowledge + Love) / Disrespectfulness”?
( http://xahlee.org/Netiquette_dir/disrespectfulness.html )

So, all things considered, i considered him, based on his couple of
messages, that he's like some highschool boy trying do a pissing
fight. I embraced it, as you can see.

> mentioned specific ways in which he finds your "ergonomic" layout to be
> more painful than his setup.

Yes. One could interprete a highschool boy's retorts as meaningful and
dig into. The question is, do you really want to defend this? If so,
let me know. I'll detail the reasons why i think what i think on his
messages or yours.

> He also mentioned that his most
> substantial problem is with the mouse, *not* the keyboard, a point which
> you entirely ignored.

See above. But also, please note that the discussion was about a
criticism on emacs *scratch*. Sure, sometimes the topic digress.
However, there are good or bad digressions. For example, is the
digression natural, all agreed, consentual, mutual? Is the digression
relevant? Is it worthwhile?

For example, is it worthwhile for you digress by defending that his
mentioning of RSI and mouse is in fact a topic that we should digress
into?

One is free to digress of course. So, since he mentioned RSI, i choose
to digress on my keyboarding advises, and meanwhile, ignored his
mentioning of the mouse.

If you like, i can digress into the mouse, such as what mouses i use,
my mousing habits, my thoughts on the ergonomicality of mouses, and in
general pointing devices, the history of the mouse, the models of
mouse i've used since 1991, etc.

> Telling people your opinions on their keyboard
> setup does not accomplish anything productive or constructive when their
> keyboard configuration is just fine and the mouse causes them pain.

Yes. Telling me your opinion about a behavior you thought i had
doesn't help on the issue of the *scratch* buffer.

Can you see?

> > Do u mean to say, that as far as you know, pressing Ctrl+n invoke a
> > next-line command in web browsers?
>
> He means that it doesn't create a new document.  In graphical web
> browsers it typically opens a new browser window, frequently viewing
> your home page.  Similar to a new document, yes, but not the same thing.

Huh?

In just about all major browsers (safari, firefox, opera, and prob
IE), you can set it to open a empty page. What u talking about?

Also, the discussion about Ctrl+n originated from my remark that Ctrl
+n is familiar to all programers, in the context of discussing
stardard UI. Just because you have installed Firefox plugin that
modifies default behavior, or just because you are one of those
perhaps less than 0.01% in human animal society who actually uses a
text-based browser, it does not mean Ctrl+n behaves your modified way
in general or that people are not familiar with such a user interface.

I suggest you horn your skills in critical thinking. You could start
by reading Wikipedia article:
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_thinking

Alternatively, i suggest you put time to think about tech geeker's
behavior in newsgroups. I have written several articles about it. See
here for a index:

Netiquette Anthropology
http://xahlee.org/Netiquette_dir/troll.html

  Xah