Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 17:12:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 19, 9:39 am, Alan Mackenzie <a...@colin2.muc.de> wrote:
> XahLee<x...@xahlee.org> wrote:
> > Hi Eli moron,
> > U wrote:
> >> If you want people to listen to your ideas seriously, you will wish to
> >> make a point of expressing them accurately.
> > Please understand, that the level of precision and time spend in
> > writing needed depends on the context. You would be a fool, to spend
> > one year to compose a newsgroup post. And, you would be moron if you
> > nickpick on spellings and phrasings that are not critical to the main
> > ideas.
>
> Sometimes,Xah, your spellings and phrasings, to say nothing of your
> wierd variable length quotes with dangling bits, make your message all
> but indecipherable.

you think? could it be that your criticial thinking and readings
skills are not mature enough?

Seriously.

I recommend you read some of my literature annotations on my website:

• The Tale Of The Bull And The Ass
http://xahlee.org/p/arabian_nights/an2.html

• The Tragedy Of Titus Andronicus
http://xahlee.org/p/titus/titus.html

• Politics and the English Language
http://xahlee.org/p/george_orwell_english.html

> Eli has one up on you there.  English isn't his native language either,
> yet he manages to convey his ideas with style and panache.

you think?

> > I'm not sure ur a moron, but i wondered, because in my previous
> > message i specifically pointed out that please focus on main ideas.
> > You seem to me don't have much general education to sufficiently
> > understand the situation, but gave a retort about precision that is
> > typical of sophomorons.
>
> OK, back to the main point.  It seems that `switch-to-buffer' (C-x b)
> does pretty much what you want.

The question is not about whether it “pretty much” does. Nor is it
about whether what i want.

The issue, is about a problem with emacs's “*scratch*” buffer, and how
the 2 alternative practical existing ways to create empty buffer each
are unfit for the purpose. I detailed them in my article:

http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization_scratch_buffer.html

Please u peruse of it.

> Except you seem upset that when you do
> M-x kill-buffer, Emacs kills the buffer.  I'd be unhappy if it didn't.

The issue is not about whether i'm upset. Nor is it about whether kill-
buffer not killing the buffer.

Please think.

> Actually, you'd be better typing C-x k.  All you want, I think, is that
> Emacs should give you a warning when you're about to kill such a buffer.

Huh? what r u talking about?

> Why don't you implement this and post it up?  It's not rocket science,
> and you do have a basic grasp of Emacs Lisp.  You seem to expect that
> somebody else should do the work of implementing your ideas - that's
> just not the way things work.  Implement it now - it should take more
> than an hour or two to modify C-x b - then we can try it out to see how
> good it actually is.
>
> > Fuck you.
>
> Xah, don't try to fuck - you're not very good at it.  Write some Elisp
> instead.

The issue is not about fucking.

Please focuse on the issue if u are interested in discussing it.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/