Emacsclient to remote machine

From: Eric
Subject: Emacsclient to remote machine
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 09:00:38 -0700 (PDT)

At work, I use a very slow machine. However, a fast machine exists
elsewhere. "Snail" (my machine) is very slow, while "Rabbit" is very
fast. I can jump to Rabbit and execute whatever I like.

I can start Emacs on Rabbit and then give (server-start) after which I
can use emacsclient on Rabbit to have Emacs open whatever I ask.

I'd like to be able to use emacsclient from Snail and have the Emacs
running on Rabbit pick it up. The problem is that emacsclient doesn't
seem to be able to find the Emacs server.

The documentation indicates that the Emacs Server should place some
sort of file containing connection information in ~/.emacs.d/server
when it starts up. However, that directory doesn't exist for me. Is
there something I need to do to ensure this file is created?

Or is it even possible to do what I want?

(I could use Rabbit exclusively, but there are a few reasons I'd like
to avoid doing so if possible.)

Thanks,
Eric