Re: What I'm missing when using M-x shell

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: Re: What I'm missing when using M-x shell
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 10:27:47 +0200

[ please CC me when replying to me ]

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 7:34 PM, Dan Espen
<daneNO@more.mk.spamtelcordia.com> wrote:
> Compiles are M-x compile, greps are M-x grep,
> ls is dired, email is MH-E.

But what would you suggest as replacement for:

$ make && gdb || mail -s "Compilation failed" home

More generally sh scripts allow automatisation processes that you
can't simply do with emacs commands, it similar to using a mouse
actually. I don't think you can get rid of them.

Futhermore there are a lot of tools out there that are not integrated
to emacs if you do so, you don't have enough keys on the keyboard to
create bindings ;)

So I don't think you can realistically get rid of a shell

> Maybe most emacs users aren't that committed to M-x shell and
> it's friends.

Probably.

So for now I don't think I can forget Gnu Screen: one screen to handle
a terminal with a shell where all my ncurse based applications can
work properly and another screen where emacs lives.

Thanks
--
Francis