Re: slow find-file for network file systems and very deep directories

From: AlFire
Subject: Re: slow find-file for network file systems and very deep directories
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 19:25:03 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
From: AlFire <spamgrinder.trylater@ggmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:56:58 -0700

this is a situation: I access samba based file system from Windows. It
is not rocket fast but neither pig slow. I noted the find-file takes
veeeery long (15 seconds) time to complete. Another factor is that the
file is quite deep in the directory structure namely:

W:\dir1\dir2\dir3\dir4\dir5\dir6\dir7\dir8\dir9\dirA\dirB\dirC\file.c

Which version of Emacs is that?
22.2.1

Also, did you type the above long file name literally, or did you use
TAB-completion somewhere along the way?  If the latter, please tell
_exactly_ what you typed, character by character (C-h l should help
you gathering this info).

no tab completion involved  - provided the full path to the find-file and hit
<return> . In addition drag-and-drop as well as the reading the file during the
desktop-load is slow as well.

Andy