tramp hang "waiting 60s for prompt from remote shell"

From: arolin
Subject: tramp hang "waiting 60s for prompt from remote shell"
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 16:13:45 -0700 (PDT)

I am trying to use tramp and ssh to access files on my web server.

my emacs is GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)

I use cygwin for my ssh and can log into my server

I try to access my files as such:
C-x C-f /ssh:user@hostname.com:~/ <tab>

The file name prompt then says
waiting 60s for prompt from remote shell
and crashes. I have to use ctrl-alt-delete to kill the process

any hints?
Thanks