Re: How to Reduce Emacs Load Time

From: rustom
Subject: Re: How to Reduce Emacs Load Time
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 04:01:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 3, 10:06 pm, Rupert Swarbrick <rswarbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > For this to be quite successful one needs ---
> > 1. emacs running as a server -- easily done with (server-start)
> > 2. emacs to be quietly background-able, ie disappear without being
> > visible on the desktop.  This is not possible because delete-frame
> > refuses to delete the last frame. In my view delete-frame should
> > quietly delete the frame if server is running. if not and its the last
> > frame it should chain to save-buffers-kill-emacs.
> > 3. emacs to be understood as a service by the OS.  This means it must
> > be compiled and follow the expected convention of service (for
> > windows) or daemon (for unices).
>
> > 3 would give maximum convenience but at least 2 is necessary for easy
> > 'service-able' usage (in my humble opinion)
>
> I believe one can get emacs to "go away completely" using the Multi-tty
> version (which is either a branch or in trunk CVS), but I haven't tried
> that yet myself.
>
> What I've been using for quite some time is detailed on the EmacsWiki
> [1], and seems to work pretty well. It basically does what you describe
> at the end of 2).
>
> Rupert
>
> [1]http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/RupertSwarbrick#toc1
>
>  application_pgp-signature_part
> < 1KViewDownload

If you see my post to this list (sub: emacs as a service) and Eli's
response of 29 aug you'll find multi-tty emacs only works and is only
likely to work on linux. Right now I need to work on windows.

Anyhow thanks. This code will still be useful to convert C-x C-c into
a more general purpose 'closer'.