Re: anti-aliased fonts

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: anti-aliased fonts
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 19:37:37 +1000

"sashang@gmail.com" <sashang@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> Is there support for anti-aliased fonts in emacs? I installed emacs a
> few days ago and tried to use it but found that the fonts were
> rendered poorly. Some searching of the net revealed that I had to get
> a special snapshot installed (apt-get install emacs-snapshot-gtk) to
> get anti-aliased fonts. I find this surprising considering that it's
> 2008 and every other application I use supports anti-aliased fonts.

What you are after has been introduced only in the CVS branch of
emacs. I run the CVS version daily and its very stable most of the
time. The emacs-snapshot is a recent snapshot of the CVS head and works
well. None of the stable e.g. released versions of emacs prior to the 23
CVS branch have anti-aliased font support.

The new CVS version has a lot of nice new enhancements that are really
catching emacs up to what most would expect from the worlds greatest
editor, including -

        * Improved support for UTF-8 and other character sets
        * Anti-aliased fonts and support for better font handling using
          xft, otf and n17m
        * Support for dbus
        * User friendly interface to GNU PG
        * Some new useful packages, such as org-mode, nxml-mode, etc
        * A dired like mode for viewing processes in a similar way to
        * top
        * enhanced line wrapping options and more options in the option
          window to do things like set the default font
        * New completions and screen centering/moving features
        * Improved TRAMP

and lots more. Going on history, it will probably be a while before
version 23 is released as the next stable version. However, as already
mentioned, I find it stable enough to use daily at work and home.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au