RE: basic using icicels

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: basic using icicels
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 10:23:35 -0700

> Is it possible to complete zero length string with icicles
> in other words , is it possible to have in the completion buffer ALL
> the words avaialbe in ALL buffers and from there starting filtering ?

Not sure what you mean, exactly.

But yes, if you type nothing in the minibuffer when it asks for completion
input, and you then hit TAB or S-TAB, you should get all available completion
candidates. This is a common action - it's how you see all possible candidates.
If you type something, then what you type filters the possible candidates;
otherwise, you see them all.

However, I don't know what you mean by the last part: "ALL the words available
in ALL buffers".  Minibuffer completion is available for lots of different kinds
of object (buffer name, file name, function name, search hit,...). What is the
context here? What command are you using?

It sounds like you want to complete a word (in a buffer other than the
minibuffer), using the words that are present in all buffers as candidates. Is
that correct? Are you referring to `C-M-/', which (in Icicle mode) is
`icicle-dabbrev-completion'? If so, use `C-h k C-M-/' to see the description of
this command. In that description, you see that `C-u C-u C-M-/' uses all words
from all buffers as candidates. (`C-h k' is your friend.)