Re: Portable emacs devices

From: ken
Subject: Re: Portable emacs devices
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 14:15:09 -0400

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the
same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
        -- Albert Einstein

On 08/28/2008 12:30 PM Sven Bretfeld wrote:
> ken <gebser@mousecar.com> writes:
>
>> Have a look at the Open Moko phone <http://www.openmoko.com/> and
>> <http://www.openmoko.org/>.  It's about the size of an iPphone, but is a
>> handheld computer running Linux.  It has a phone (of course), GPS &
>> mapping (might be handy for biking around), touch screen, USB (albeit
>> v.1.1), and some other things.  A lot of the functionality is still in
>> development though.  But if you just want to run emacs on it, that
>> shouldn't be a major deal.
>
> It's no problem at all. In this very second the installation process
> of Debian is running on my new OpenMoko which was in my postbox
> yesterday. I've already tried Debian on the device yesterday but I
> have to reinstall it since I bought an 8GB MicroSD today to have more
> space available. Debian is running fine, all packages of the
> distribution are available
> <http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnFreeRunner>. You can run xfce and, of
> course, Emacs. Emacs is starting up quite slowly, but then it works
> smoothly. The keyboard is part of the display and, therefore, quite
> small; you have to handle it with a pen. But it's wonderful to be able
> to hack in some notes everywhere you go, especially if you are an
> addict of org-mode like me. But I wouldn't write a PhD thesis on the
> OpenMoko.
>
> Greetings
>
> Sven

Sven,

Congratulations!  Yes, I'd agree... I wouldn't want to write a long
document on a little touch screen either-- even using emacs.  But with
the USB port, you could plug a regular keyboard into it.  Some years ago
I read about a keyboard that was essentially a thin piece of plastic you
could roll up when not in use.

I also read about a text input device developed by a student at the MIT
AI lab.  It was a small, palm-sized device that you held in one hand
with the cable running down inside your shirt sleeve; it just hangs
there when you're not using it.  You have to re-learn how to "type" with
"keyboard" designed for one-handed (left-handed) use.  It was one piece
of a complete computer developed as a "wearable computer".  I've never
heard of any of the wearables coming out on retail markets though.

Enjoy your open moko and let us know how it works for you.

Regards,
ken

- --