Re: Waiting for Asynchronous Process

From: Colin S. Miller
Subject: Re: Waiting for Asynchronous Process
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 19:39:55 +0100

Eric wrote:
Suppose I'm writing a function that will compile 4 files (A, B, C, and
D). The first three can compile in any order, but D must come last.
I want the user to have a responsive Emacs while the compilations are
going on.

I could do (call-process "theCompiler" .... "A")
               (call-process "theCompiler" .... "B") ...
but then Emacs is "frozen" until all files are compiled.

I could do (start-process ...), but then I can't seem to wait for the
processes to all exit without causing Emacs to hang.

I know that ELisp doesn't do multithreading. Is it possible to do what
I want without creating a separate script outside of Emacs?

BTW,
"make -j" from M-x compile will do this, if you are using a Unix-based system.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the
hostname to reply.