Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?

From: Xah
Subject: Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 05:05:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 29, 4:13 am, Nikolaj Schumacher <n_schumac...@web.de> wrote:
> XahLee<x...@xahlee.org> wrote:
> > I just might down the road start my own emacs cult... creating a emacs
> > distro that's just my ideal of what functional, BEST efficient,
> > software should be like.[SNIP]
>
> > The most effective way to make such change, is just have a capable
> > coder and fork it, like Xemacs and Aquamacs did.
>
> Please do.  I don't think it's the best way to make such a change, but
> it is the most effective (and perhaps only) way of proving your point:
> That users want this.

I hope you are not suggesting that my suggestions are totally fringe
thus needs to see the light to be proven. (after all my effort in
explation here)

If any suggestion in the human world needs to be proven first, nothing
can move forward.

thanks for agreeing though. We agreed on something!

> Just make sure you stay as compatible as possible so that no work is
> lost.
>
> > So, either i try to spend tons of time to be the salesman for emacs
> > modernization, or i actually take things into my hands and start my
> > own emacs distro.
>
> Exactly.  Plus, nobody really likes salespeople. :)
>
> > The actually coding part for the latter will prob be dwarfed by all
> > the associated tasks of running a website with public annoucement and
> > communities etc.
>
> If you think there are enough users out there, you should be able to
> find contributors.  After all you do believe a majority preferred
> modernization, right?

Yes, contributors will come. Still, a couple years of full time job to
get it going is still there.

Xemacs, started as Lucid Emacs, was run by a commercial company Lucid
Inc in the Lisp machine and Artificial Intelligence days (1980s), and
the company's eventual commercial goal, was to produce a commercial
IDE for C++, based on emacs.

The collaboration with GNU Emacs, mainly Richard M Stallman (RMS),
finally can't work out for multitudes of reasons that are often
attributed to RMS's character and GNU project's snail speed. Thus the
fork.

Aquamacs, in comparison to Xemacs in its historical context some 20
years ago, is really just few trivial UI changes. (the changes in
aquamacs in comparison to Xemacs back then, in terms of manpower, is
perhaps 10 or 100 times smaller.) Nevertheless, it took the Aquamacs
guy quite few years to come into shape, and he's not shy about asking
for donations in every release.

One way you can help the cause, is by helping to dispell myths. (the
usual term used among tech geekers today is “contructive criticism
welcome”). So, whenever this argument about modernization of emacs
comes up, and if you think there are valid points in this, you can
help by discussing facts, being positive in general and stay on topic.
(as opposed to, say, saying it's wrong place to discuss, or “it'll
never work”, or “prove it!”, or “why don't you fork it”, or
suggestions about how fork should be done, etc.)

Thanks.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/