Re: basic question: going back to dired

From: Colin S. Miller
Subject: Re: basic question: going back to dired
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 14:06:26 +0100

Ben Aurel wrote:
hi
This is my first post here, so I hope this is the right place for asking
beginner questions.

My question is simple: When I list some files in dired mode I select one
file to edit. Now how can I close this file and go back to dired without
closing emacs?

thanks

ben

Ben,

C-x k RET   will close the current file
C-x C-j     will open the dired on the directory containing the current file.
If dired is already open but not visible for that directory, then the dired
buffer
is made visible.

This will make emacs swap to dired, but the current file will remain open.
Pressing C-x b <filename> will allow you to swap to it.

In dired 'g' will force dired to reread the directory if it has changed.

Emacs allows you to have multiple files open at once. Unlike most editors
Emacs does not allocate a frame (child window in other editors' terminology).

Instead you create the frames you require and then display the buffers (files)
you wish to view at present in them. The undisplayed buffers will keep their
contents
until you explicitly kill (close) them.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the
hostname to reply.