Re: basic question: going back to dired

From: Juanma
Subject: Re: basic question: going back to dired
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 03:30:43 +0200

On Wednesday 23 July 2008, Bastien wrote:
> Xah <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > The kill-this-buffer does not have a shortcut by default.
>
> Please suggest a keybinding for this command.

Sure: F12. And I happen to have chosen the same one proposed here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/DedicatedKeys
But I use it to close buffers and/or windows (with control) and/or frames
(with alt), including '(server-edit)' calls. However, if I do M-F12, I only
kill the current buffer, not all of them showing in that frame, because I
think that killing a buffer has to be quite conscious action. But I'm quite
off-topic here. Sorry.

> > The Close command doesn't have a default shortuct. In practice, i
> > think it induced a operation habit to have hundreds of past buffers
> > left open. The problem with leaving buffers is that it makes buffer
> > listing/switching facilities much less useful.
>
> I'm not under this impression.

Me neither. I don't have statistics, of course, but I find it really odd.

> I think the listing (C-x C-b) facility
> is useful because working on many buffers is permitted.  And switching
> (C-x b) is easy thanks to completion.  Ido-mode can also help here.

Or iswitchb-mode.
--
Juanma

"Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like
 having a peeing section in a swimming pool."
       -- Edward Burr