Re: basic question: going back to dired

From: Bastien Guerry
Subject: Re: basic question: going back to dired
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 01:49:54 +0200

"Juanma Barranquero" <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:

>> How many users are complaining about the fact that it's not easy to open
>> and close a file with Emacs?  As long as this is not a *major* problem,
>> let's not consider whether it's good or not to change Emacs terminology.
>>
>> No?
>
> I don't see the relevance of that question (my fault, I'm sure).

No, surely mine.  I just wanted to say: if new users are not too much
complaining about the terminology, let's not fix something that is not
broken.

> I was under the impression that the relevant question would be: "how
> much difficult is for beginners to learn Emacs when they read about
> buffers and frames and keybindings, instead of X and Y and Z?" [where
> X, Y and Z are suitable terms commonly used in other environments]

Do you seriously think that the terms "buffers, frames and keybindings"
make it difficult for new users to learn Emacs?

More commonly used terms are in the Glossary.

See for example "shortcut" and "window":

Keyboard Shortcut
     A keyboard shortcut is a key sequence (q.v.) which invokes a
     command.  What some programs call "assigning a keyboard shortcut,"
     Emacs calls "binding a key sequence."  See `binding.'

Window
     Emacs divides a frame (q.v.) into one or more windows, each of
     which can display the contents of one buffer (q.v.) at any time.
     *Note Screen::, for basic information on how Emacs uses the screen.
     *Note Windows::, for commands to control the use of windows.  Some
     other editors use the term "window" for what we call a `frame'
     (q.v.) in Emacs.

It's clear, and new users can find this easily.  We could have another
ones for "workspace" and "tab" but I think it would be confusing.

--
Bastien