Re: Mode for files visited by GUD

From: Juanma
Subject: Re: Mode for files visited by GUD
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 01:54:59 +0200

Hello, Nick.

Thanks for your help.

> = Nick Roberts
>  > = Juan Bellon

>  > Is there any mode (and it's hook) run when GUD visits a source code file
>  > during debugging?
>
> gdb-find-file-hook is run when GUD visits a source code file.  You could
> advise that function

Great, it worked.

This is sort of peculiar way to do it. I mean, hooks are normally variables,
and one uses add-hook with them. But in this case it is a function,
documented on a user level, while the variable was not. Maybe the variable
was created by my mistake only, as I hooked my function on it?

So, yes, I can advice that function, but, anything against using a hook
variable instead?

Another question: is there an "exit hook", for the time when debugging goes
into a different file? I guess it doesn't make a lot of sense, but I'm curious.

> or create your own hook using find-file-hook (see the Elisp manual).

I'm also curious about this. What did you mean? Why should I create my own
hook instead of hooking my minor mode or function into that existing hook?
And how can I tell if the file is being found by GUD and not by user request?

Best regards,
--
Juanma

"Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like
 having a peeing section in a swimming pool."
       -- Edward Burr