Re: Emacs vs. TextMate (not trying to start an editor war)

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Emacs vs. TextMate (not trying to start an editor war)
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:31:14 -0600

>>>>> "Miles" == Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

Miles> What is really desirable, I think, is some way of transparently fooling
Miles> "whole buffer" modes into thinking they have control of a whole buffer,
Miles> when in fact, they just have control of part of one.  I think it's
Miles> probably possible to do this (perhaps using an extension of the indirect
Miles> buffer mechanism?) but afaik nobody has really looked at the problem
Miles> closely.

Have you looked at MuMaMo?  I thought it did this kind of thing.  But,
I have not looked at it and I don't know the details.

It has always been funny to me how Emacs is so awesome, but then has
some areas which seem strangely idiosyncratic and
under-powered... e.g., IMO the parsing machinery for writing a
major-mode is distinctly weird and hard to use.

Tom