Re: .emacs read but ignored

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: .emacs read but ignored
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 13:39:29 +0200

Am 03.07.2008 um 21:21 schrieb xjm:

(setq default-tab-width 2)
Even with this setting, I still get monstrous 8-character tabs.

        Documentation:
        Default value of `tab-width' for buffers that do not override it.
        This is the same as (default-value 'tab-width).

Are you using it in a buffer that does *not* overwrite your default by using some minor mode?

If are in doubt whether your init file ist read in, then make it start with a

        (message "My init file starts here.")

and finish it with:

        (message "My init file ends here.")

--
Greetings

  Pete

Make it simple, as simple as possible but no simpler.
                                – Albert Einstein