Re: rename existing *shell* to *MYshell.txt. Now, how making "C-x s" SA

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: rename existing *shell* to *MYshell.txt. Now, how making "C-x s" SAVE it?
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 02:21:35 -0400

In article <g475vf$13v$1@panix2.panix.com>,
 dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

> So I have this existing *shell* that I've been working with,
> and it belatedly turns out that I want it to "also live
> as a disk file" -- to be a physical record of what I've
> been doing (in *that* shell).
>
> So I M-x rename-buffer it to MYshell.txt.
>
> Question: now, how to "bind" it to a disk file of the
> same name?

You don't need to rename it, just write it to a file:

C-x C-w MYshell.txt RET

> Or if not that (
>
>      bind implying that by some magic that
>      whatever chars appear in *shell* (Well, MYshell.txt buffer)
>      automatically appears in the disk file too, maybe
>
>     ), then where all I need to do is C-x s and the disk-file
> gets updated.

I don't know of a way to make it automatically update the file.  But
once you associate it with a file with C-x C-w, you can then use C-x C-s
to update the file manually.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA