Using Emacs-22.0.50 as programming editor for Perl

From: Ted
Subject: Using Emacs-22.0.50 as programming editor for Perl
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 08:02:39 -0700 (PDT)

I've been using Emacs for a while, as well as programming little Perl
scripts for about the same amount of time.  So far, so good.  But I
have two issues I have yet to resolve, despite studying the Emacs
documentation (maybe I'm just looking in the wrong part of that
though, or maybe what I'm trying to do isn't discussed there).

1) When I run a script, standard output gets mixed with standard error
iostreams.  Is there a simple way to tell Emacs to display each output
stream in its own window?  At a minimum, things would be a whole lot
easier if whatever is written to STDOUT is kept separate from whatever
is written to STDERR!  I would have thought that these two streams
would be written to separate windows by default.

2) Debugging is a bit of a pain.  I can use "perl -d myTestScript.pl"
from a Windows (WXP) commandline window.  But when I try the usual
commands, that I'd use from the commandline, within Emacs, nothing
happens most of the time, and sometimes I'd get an error message
saying the command I'd used is obsolete.  While it is trivially easy
to step through my scripts using "perl -d myTestScript.pl" from a
Windows (WXP) commandline window, I have yet to step through my code
when I have Emacs use the same command to start a debugging session.
Emacs does display the debugger's prompt, but none of the commands I'd
use in the debugger's own interface seems to work when it is trying to
function within Emacs.

Any suggestions to get either of these issues resolved would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ted