Re: Byte-compilation warnings

From: Florian Beck
Subject: Re: Byte-compilation warnings
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 22:01:54 +0200

>> When I byte-compile my elisp files I get lots of warnings
>> concerning cl:
>>
>> Warning: Function `evenp' from cl package called at runtime
>>
>> I find that annoying because (a) it drowns important warnings
>> and (b) it is about a coding convention for packages
>> distributed with Emacs that does not concern me at the moment.
>> Surely, Emacs maintainers are able to
>> determine if something from cl is called at run time without
>> spamming the compile log for every user.
>
> I sympathize with you.
>
> FWIW, however, I appreciate this warning (information, really) as a user. I
> want
> to recognize when I might want to either code something differently or use
> (eval-when-compile (require 'cl)).

Alas, this only works for cl *macros*. If I could repress the faux
warnings by some code – that would be fine. Seems like I cannot.

This is really annoying, because it can easily result in *pages* of
spurious warnings I *know* to be unwarranted.

For me, byte compiler warnings would be a great way to avoid error,
would I not tend to ignore them because of the above problems. I can
work around `reference to free variable' warnings, but not the cl
warnings.

The result is not me seriously considering the cl warnings but pretty
much disregarding all of them. Not very useful.

My point is, I might apprecciate the information *once*, but after that I
have made my deciscion. Further warnings only distract me.

--
Florian Beck, looking for (I-really-want-to-use-cl-even-at-eval)