Re: Issue with .emacs, files not loading

From: Chris Poole
Subject: Re: Issue with .emacs, files not loading
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 05:00:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 4, 8:16 am, Sven Joachim <svenj...@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2008-06-03 23:40 +0200, Colin S. Miller wrote:
>
> > From the variable's documentation
>
> >   *List of directories to search for files to load.
> >   Each element is a string (directory name) or nil (try default directory).
>
> >   Note that the elements of this list *may not* begin with "~", so you must
> >   call `expand-file-name' on them before adding them to this list.
>
> Where did you get that?  Here it says:
>
> ,----
> | *List of directories to search for files to load.
> | Each element is a string (directory name) or nil (try default directory).
> | Initialized based on EMACSLOADPATH environment variable, if any,
> | otherwise to default specified by file `epaths.h' when Emacs was built.
> `----
>
> No mention of expand-file-name.
>
> > You need to expand your paths before adding them to load-path.
>
> Huh?  I have
>
> (setq load-path (append (list "~/elisp") load-path))
>
> in my .emacs since ages, and that has always worked.
>
> > I can't see where you are calling (load-library) to load
> > my-custom-generic.el.
>
> That's a valid point, at last.
>
> Sven

Thanks.

I have the same definition for load-path as you do (not mention of
having to expand the path). And anyway, it works fine to load org-mode
without expanding the path.

But I'm afraid I'm new to elisp. I was under the impression that by
adding ~/.../generic to my load path, it would read all elisp files in
that directory, executing everything.

What do I have to do with load-library?