Re: emacs 22 missing iso-accents-mode

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: emacs 22 missing iso-accents-mode
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 20:01:45 +0200

> If they don't put them, they 're useless.

I was going to say that "if the locale utils don't pick them up, they
are useless", but it looks like you may be right.   The locale(1)
utility does not pick them up:

$ locale
LANG=
LC_CTYPE="POSIX"
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME="POSIX"
LC_COLLATE=POSIX
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_PAPER="POSIX"
LC_NAME="POSIX"
LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
LC_ALL=

However, there is a setting called GDM_LANG:

$ env | grep LANG
GDM_LANG=en_US.UTF-8

Maybe the Ubuntu locale setting is Gnome specific?  If so, it shouldn't
affect GNU emacs...?

Or will it, since I'm using Emacs22-GTk, ie. the GTk-based Emacs...?

Thanx!

- Steinar