Re: prettifying output from running sql commands in sql-mode

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: prettifying output from running sql commands in sql-mode
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 19:17:00 +1000

matal <tahsin.alam@db.com> writes:

> I just started using sql-mode with an oracle database (sql-oracle). The
> output from running a sql command looks just like what i would have gotten
> using SQL*Plus - wrapped lines, and not very easy to read generally for long
> records.
>
> I saw a suggestion on the web about setting linesize to 9999 and turning on
> horz scrolling.
> Setting linesize to 9999 helps but when I try to turn on horizontal
> scrolling ('toggle-horizontal-scroll-bar'), I get an error message
> "Horizontal scroll bars aren't implemented yet".
>
> QUESTION - Any suggestions on how to pretty-fy the output from running SQL
> commands? Perhaps a solution to the horizontal scrollbar problem I face
> above, or some other solution?
>
> [using Emacs 22.2.1 on Windows XP]
>
> Thank you very much in advance!
> matal

There were a number of elisp snippets kicking around that help to
cleanup the sqlplus buffer and format things a little better. I think
many of them were on the emacs wiki (Alex, who setup emacs wiki was also
the author of sql-mode). From memory, there were snippets that would do
exactly what you want (well, maybe not exactly, but possibly pretty
close).

the other thing you can do is put various sqlplus 'set' commands in the
sqlplus startup config file that make the defaults fit with what you
need a bit better. for example, setting page size, turning off headers,
maximum column widths etc.

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au