elisp questions for Advanced Closing brackets function

From: TheLonelyStar
Subject: elisp questions for Advanced Closing brackets function
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 11:12:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I have funtions in my .emacs, which inserts "[]" when one types "[" (and
same for "(" and "{").
I also have functions which just jumps over a "]" when "]" is typed.
I want to make this function more advanced!
It should do the following:
When one types "]" it looks for the next character which is NOT a
whitespace. If it is "]", the functions just jumps after this. Otherwise it
inserts an "]".
I am just lerning elisp (just for this), but I am stuck.
My Problems:
- How do I check if the character under (point) is a whitespace?
- In an "if" statement, how do I put more than one expression into the else
case? Like this:
(if condition (do-if-case) ((do-else-case) (do-more-else-case))
- If I have a funcion like this:
(defun adanced-closing-bracket (arg)
  ...)
How do I compare (arg) to the character under point?

Thanks for any help!
Nathan