Re: change in fill-paragraph

From: ken
Subject: Re: change in fill-paragraph
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 06:26:22 -0400

On 04/19/2008 09:24 PM B. T. Raven wrote:
ken wrote:

With the versions of emacs I've been using for years, fill-paragraph won't fill/reformat include in its definition of a paragraph any line which begins with a space. However, the newer emacs version I use at work will. That is,

(1) In the older versions, this will be
one paragraph.  M-q will reformat it
fine.  I like it this way.
 (2) In the older versions, having just a
single space at the beginning
of a line tells paragraph-fill that this is
a separate paragraph.  So this would be a
separate paragraph.
 (3) In the new emacs version, all of these
would constitute one paragraph and so be
filled together.  I would much prefer the older way
fill-paragraph works... so that (1), (2), and (3)
stay where they are.

How would I restore the old behavior to the new version of emacs?

Thanks much.

You can get this with

"(paragraph-indent-text-mode)

Major mode for editing text, with leading spaces starting a paragraph.
In this mode, you do not need blank lines between paragraphs
when the first line of the following paragraph starts with whitespace.
`paragraph-indent-minor-mode' provides a similar facility ..."

Thanks for this, but I didn't want to change the entire mode, as the behavior above by fill-paragraph happens also when I'm using html-helper-mode, what I use for editing/creating html. It may well happen in other modes also, e.g., perl-mode, c-mode... not sure, because I haven't tried a lot of other modes at work yet.

In brief, I just want to change the behavior of fill-paragraph back to what it was previously for all modes. If paragraph-indent-minor-mode will do this, what would I need to put in ~/.emacs to invoke it for any file I might open and not have "paragraph-indent-minor-mode" show up in the mode line? (My mode line already is already occupied with all it can accomodate.)

Again, thanks for your help.

--
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the
same level of thinking we were at when we created them.