Re: Choosing a versioning system (was My dream work log:)

From: rustom
Subject: Re: Choosing a versioning system (was My dream work log:)
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 20:55:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 30, 11:59 pm, Oleg Katsitadze <oleg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> CVS is good but has a few flaws.  Don't use it for new projects.
>
> SVN (subversion) is a successor to CVS with the flaws fixed and new
> features added.
>
> Distributed systems (git, monotone) are good when you don't have (or
> don't want to have) a server to keep the repository.

Yes that is my impression also.
What your reply suggests however is that we are seeing a cycle of
simple-complex-simple:
rcs -- simple (no server)
cvs,svn -- more complex because needs centralized server
modern distributed ones -- once again no need for server but with the
lock model replaced with the merge model (see
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.2/svn.basic.vsn-models.html )

And so I was wondering if these systems give the best of all worlds?

But... there are just too many to choose from!!  bzr, darcs, git,
mercurial, monotone...
[Alphabetically listed  :-)   ]

So my question is: For people living much of their lives in emacs and
among other things trying to keep their own stuff versioned, what do
you use??

For the choice rcs-for-sysadmin files I see 3 options:

-- make the ,v file next to the original file
-- make the ,v file in an RCS directory  -- but that way one could end
up having tens (100s?) of RCS directories in /etc alone!
-- there is some way (I dont know of) of making one RCS repo for all
files or at least all sysadmin file. So that something like 'I keep my
home in svn' http://kitenet.net/~joey/svnhome/ is possible with RCS