Re: Emacs psychiatrist

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Emacs psychiatrist
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 19:03:07 +1100

stan <smoore@exis.net> writes:

> Bastien wrote:

>>> Well, that's incorrect I believe. Shouldn't it be
>>>
>>>   Actually, it's not a psychiatrist (obviously: it doesn't
>>>   just prescribe some drug), it is a psychoanalyst.
>>
>> AFAIK there are more psychiatrists that are also psychoanalysts than
>> psychoanalysts that are also psychiatrists.  So in most of the cases
>> the role of the psychiatrists-psychoanalyst is not to "just" prescribe
>> drugs.
>
> My money is on Zippy to have access to better drugs than Eliza. ;)

I think the destinction is between psychiatrist and psychologist - the
former is able to prescribe drugs while the later cannot.

Back when I did psychology, psychoanalyst was either a psychiatrist or
psychologist who subscribed to Freud's psychoanalytical approach i.e. it
was a specific school of thought on the analysis and treatment of
various psychological disorders. It is not the only approach an in fact,
back in the early 80's at least, had pretty much fallen out of favor
compared to other theories that were not based on defining what was
'normal' essentially through interviews with people defined as
'abnormal' and dependent on unproven concepts such as the edipus/elektra
complex, penis envy, Id, super Id and Ego. Modern psychology tends to
prefer theories with more scientific rigor (or at least pseudo-rigor!).

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au