RE: Dired hd drives list

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Dired hd drives list
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 12:44:17 -0700

> >> Why would one like it?  Dired already shows that output
for the
> >> filesystem where the listed directory lives, but I
cannot
> >> figure out why would I want to see other filesystems
together
> >> with that?
>
> > Dired has no equivalent of the My Computer level, I'd
guess, because
> > of its Unix bias and legacy. That's OK as a historical
explanation,
> > but it doesn't mean such a feature wouldn't be useful.
>
> How useful would it be to those of us that use Unix?

Not useful at all. I thought that was clear.

But how useful to Unix users is Emacs's use of a drive name
such as `c:'? Not useful at all - they don't even see it.
And they wouldn't see the equivalent of a My Computer level
in Dired, either - that would be for Windows users only,
just like `c:'.

There is not a simple one-to-one mapping between Windows's
file-system representation and Unix's, as I mentioned. In
one sense, the equivalent of the Unix root folder, for
Windows, is the My Computer level. In Dired on Unix you
already have such a top-level view. In Dired on Windows, you
do not. This is about adding that missing view.