Re: File name completion on Mac OS X with German umlauts

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: File name completion on Mac OS X with German umlauts
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 15:39:35 +0100

Am 09.03.2008 um 12:53 schrieb Markus:

I'm using a German Mac OS X 10.5.2. I wanted to open a file called "rückerstattung.txt". So I typed C-x C-f rü <tab> ... but it didn't work. I thought this was a bug in Aquamacs, but then I tried to do the same with that console emacs which is bundled with Mac OS X 10.5. Same issue.

Did you check that both are the same version?

You could launch Aquamacs Emacs in Terminal, too:

        /Applications/Aquamacs\ Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Aquamacs\ Emacs -nw

Then, I remembered that some time ago, I had the same issue within Terminal where typing "rü<tab>" didn't autocomplete the file name.

File a bug report at apple: https://bugreport.apple.com/cgi-bin/ WebObjects/RadarWeb.woa

So, can't the autocomplete within Emacs work because it doesn't work under Terminal?

This is not really likely. The Emacsen do not use a shell based mechanism to expand a file name. Nevertheless, both failures can be related to the same cause: apple uses in HFS+ decomposed Unicode characters. This means that your file's name starts with ru¨ ... Have you tried

        C-x C-f r u TAB

BTW, there is a more Aquamacs Emacs related mailing list: