Re: File dialog in Emacs under Glux

From: Andrea Vettorello
Subject: Re: File dialog in Emacs under Glux
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 08:37:49 +0100

On Feb 18, 2008 12:14 AM, B. T. Raven <nihil@nihilo.net> wrote:

> i.
>
> I have been using w32 Emacs for quite a while and have gotten used to
> the File Dialog when mousing around the menu bar. I have commented the
> w32 specific stuff out of my .emacs for use under Gnu/Linux but I don't
> see file dialogs there (Fedora 8)even with use-file-dialog and
> use-dialog-box set to t in my .emacs. Does any of you have a clue as to
> why can't see file dialogs in Fedora. I don't have a Web connection to
> that machine and so I just downloaded the 22.1 sources, transferred them
> to the Fedora machine with a flash drive, and built them there. Did I
> miss some necessary toolkits. The About Emacs screen shows i686 with X
> toolkit and xaw3d.

FWIK, xaw3d is only used to draw scroll bar and buttons (surely
someone here in the list will correct me if I'm wrong). For the file
dialog you need to enable the GTK+ support (and probably need to
install the necessary dev packages).

> ii.
> I have used xmodmap to make mouse left handed with "pointer = 3 2 1" but
> I have to click twice to execute. Is there something I can put .xinitrc
> or .xmodmap or Xmodmap to make the mouse work like under w32 (one click)?

You mean clicking icons in the GUI? Again FWIK, Fedora should use
Gnome as default, so you can configure the file browser (Nautilus) to
use "single click to open items" (from the Gnome panel, System ->
Preferences -> File Management -> Behaviour), and you can change mouse
orientation (left handed mouse) via mouse preferences (System ->
Preferences -> Mouse).

I don't know which Gnome version is shipped with Fedora 8, I'm using
the latest stable with Debian, so menu items could be slightly
different...

--
Andrea