Re: M-x shell RET on Windows not working

From: nullius . filius
Subject: Re: M-x shell RET on Windows not working
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 19:11:59 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 18, 8:50 am, coskun <coskun.hasan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wanted to post an update. As I said earlier, cmd.exe at Command
> Prompt works. But cmdproxy.exe does not work. It turns out that Emacs
> calls cmdproxy.exe when I do 'M-xshell<RET>' not cmd.exe:
>
> shellrun      *shell* C:/Program Files/Emacs/bin/cmdproxy.exe -i
>
> Please let me know if you have any ideas?

You can change your shell by adding the line

  (setq shell-file-name "cmd")

to your dot emacs initialization. But that is not your problem with
running MikTeX thru' Auctex. Your problem is that Auctex expects
to use a different shell called "sh." Emacs is also much happier to
use that shell.

Here is how to install "sh"

1. Pick up a tool that can extract bz2 compressed files. I use one
called 7zip (www.7-zip.org/). When you install 7zip it will magically
set up a file association for bz2.

2. Open a command prompt and make a directory

c:\>mkdir c:\msys

3. Go to http://www.mingw.org/ it points to a download link to
sourceforge with  a shitload of packages. You want the one-

msysCORE-1.0.11-2007.01.19-1.tar.bz2

4. Double click twice on msysCORE-1.0.11-2007.01.19-1.tar.bz2.
First double click with 7zip will decompress the files into a tar
format,
the second double click will decompress the files into a normal
directory structure. Do your normal "Shift click" to select all the
files and directories in the 7zip window and extract them to a C:\msys

5. You should now have file tree something like
C:\msys
C:\msys\bin
C:\msys\doc
.
.
C:\msys\msys.bat

6. This is where the magic happens. You are about to disconnect
emacs from the windows world to reconnect to unix. You are
going to fuck around with all the environment variables so that Emacs
sees a different operating system to the rest of windows applications.

Add the following code at the top of your dot emacs.

You'll have to customize to suit. For example, my MikTeX is at

c:\Program Files\MikTeX 2.6

and so gets that particular magic name.

My Emacs is installed at c:\bin\emacs.. and etc.

;;; _emacs
(setq exec-path '("c:/Progra~1/miktex~1.6/miktex/bin"
                  "c:/Progra~1/gs/gs8.61/bin"
                  "c:/bin/emacs/bin"
                  "c:/msys/bin"
                  "c:/msys/local/bin"
                  "c:/Progra~1/Aspell/bin"))
(setenv "PATH" (mapconcat 'identity exec-path path-separator))
(setq shell-file-name "sh") ;; required for perl
(require 'tex-mik)

7. If you have followed all this you should now have opened
up the true power of auctex, and completely disconnected
from the dos world.