Re: Changing default dvi viewer.

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Changing default dvi viewer.
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 10:38:52 +0100

Am 08.02.2008 um 21:18 schrieb Ralf Angeli:

This is a very bad idea since you will have to check if something
changed in texdoc every time the TeX distribution is updated unless you don't mind missing new features and bug fixes or dealing with potential
incompatibilities.

This isn't such a big issue. TeX Live updates happen once in two years, before 2006 it was once per year. We're already in the middle of February and no TeX Live 2008 DVD has been announced yet. I had to update my texdoc copy in four years once (I have saved the elder version in ~/bin, last change: a few days before summer 2007 began).

In addition you lose the capability of passing the paper size to the
viewer. So this is an exceptionally bad suggestion for the case at hand
where a DVI viewer is being dealt with.

The latter is true, and I did not emphasise enough that David should only change one xdvi entry with texdoc (it is so obvious to me), the one that uses his default paper size. This is my fault! Next time I'll try to do a better job.

This xdvi incapability can be a much smaller problem when TeX users would understand that they are using pdfTeX, and that the DVI output is necessary only in just a few cases with use of special packages, mostly related with PostScript graphics. When TeX users would allow pdfTeX to directly create PDF, then the PDF viewer would not need to be told the paper size or its direction, because this is recorded in the PDF file, and then a dozen of different xdvi calls would not be necessary.

Anyway, once the error of changing too much was done, the original setup can easily be re-established by just commenting the customisation. Now one is offered another chance to make just the necessary changes, and after saving this, one can look at both customisation expressions and try to find an optimum. And for this one can "expand" the one-liners to multi-liners to see which expression matches which case.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

Increase the size of your bike by at least *five* inches!