Re: opening large files (few hundred meg)

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: opening large files (few hundred meg)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 10:33:32 -0600

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 21:36:50 +0100 Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@online.de>
wrote:

AR> What about a large-text-mode: sed reads chunks of text
AR> in, one by one, letting Emacs forget the rest. Than
AR> only the line-no matters, sent to sed.

That's a sensible idea.  I think it should act like narrow, but you are
not allowed to widen, only redefine the narrowing criteria (line
region/byte region/regular expression/etc) and you can also grow/shrink
the window up to a practical limit.  Most of such a mode's filtering
functions should be implemented in C, so it's not an easy task.

Ted