Re: OT about Gnu/Linux (in service of Emacs)

From: Joel J. Adamson
Subject: Re: OT about Gnu/Linux (in service of Emacs)
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 09:31:42 -0500

"B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:

[...]

> Does a script have to be put somewhere in order for the remapping to
> happen automatically for all users? Do I have to do it twice (once for
> root and once for ordinary user? This is on Fedora 8.

Are you using a display manager (GDM or KDM)?  If you're using KDM, you
should have a file called .xinitrc in your home directory that you can
access using the "Default" option from the "Sessions" menu.  Something
similar should be there in GDM.  Your .xinitrc should read .xmodmap.

Here's my .xinitrc:

#!/bin/sh
# $XConsortium: xinitrc.cpp,v 1.4 91/08/22 11:41:34 rws Exp $

userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysresources=/usr/lib/X11/xinit/.Xresources
sysmodmap=/usr/lib/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap

# merge in defaults and keymaps

if [ -f $sysresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $sysresources