Re: how to not change the working directory when opening a file

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: how to not change the working directory when opening a file
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:11:10 +0100

"Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> On Jan 15, 2008 9:02 AM, Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org> wrote:
>> () "Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com>
>> () Mon, 14 Jan 2008 16:15:54 +0100
>>
>>    This is useful when composing an email. I sometime need to
>>    include the output of a shell command but this shell command
>>    must be executed in the directory where emacs was launched.
>>
>> you can try something like: emacs --insert /tmp/foo.txt -f text-mode
>> alternatively, you can try: emacs -f compose-mail
>> and then `C-x i /tmp/foo.txt RET' at a later point.
>>

> Yes but once I need to really save /tmp/foo.txt after composing my
> email, I need to specify /tmp/foo.txt. It's not convenient and foo.txt
> is a temporary file so its name is rather complex to remember.
>
>> probably best if you invert your flow to live in emacs, in
>> which case you can use `C-u M-! SHELL-COMMAND RET' as needed.
>
> I prefer using mutt as MUA.

How do you use mutt ?
if you set your env variable EDITOR to emacsclient
(or a script launching emacsclient) you can edit your mail in an
existing session of emacs (or open emacs if it's not already launched)
and use all the features of emacs when editing mails.

--
A + Thierry
Pub key: http://pgp.mit.edu