RE: Region-highlighting has disappeared.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Region-highlighting has disappeared.
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:24:21 -0800

> I just upgraded a computer from Ubuntu Feisty to Gutsy but (as far as
> I'm aware) changed nothing else in the configuration; now the region
> is no longer highlighted.  (I already have '(transient-mark-mode t) in
> the custom-set-variables section of my ~/.emacs, but I can't figure
> out what else to do.)  How can I force this back on?
>
> (Strangely, this did not happen with the other Ubuntu machine I
> upgraded a month or so ago.)

What is the current value of `transient-mark-mode' - not just the setting in
your .emacs?

If transient-mark mode is active and you have an active region, and it
doesn't appear highlighted, then check (via `list-faces-display') to see if
face `region' is actually something noticeable.

What do you see when you try emacs -Q? That will tell you whether the
problem is from Emacs itself or from your .emacs.